Saturday, November 15, 2014


Hi everyone! 

I'm in the mood to do some Christmas projects, so I made a Christmas Tree Canvas for the MMU challenge at Flying Unicorn.

I had this idea, to use lots of holly leaves to make a Christmas tree.

Here is what I came up with.

 

Let's get started!  This one is very easy to pull together.

To start, you just need to give your canvas a coating of gold metallic paint.  I used a sponge brush.
My canvas is 6 x 12.  


While that is drying, use some punches to make lots of holly leaves.  I mean LOTS of holly leaves!
Just use your scraps.  I have a lot of Bo Bunny Double Dot scraps, so that is what I ended up using.


I started with a LOT of holly leaves!

I put them all in a big pile and gave them a couple of mists with my Prima Gold Foil.
(forgot to take a photo of that!)


Next up, use a stencil and molding paste, special effects paste or anything you prefer to give some texture to the background.


Let it dry... then...

Use Fabri-tac to make a loose Christmas Tree shape on your canvas.


Now, for the fun part...
Just dump the leaves on the top of the glue.  Spread them out.  to form the shape of your tree.
Note:  You can see that I made sure along the edges that my leaves were pointed out, but don't worry about the inside.  Mine are every which way.    Having them on top of each other is good!

Be sure to use a little rectangle of brown cardstock to add a trunk.  You could also go all the way to the bottom of the canvas with the leaves.  Your choice.   


Now for some glittery accents!  Use Mod-Podge to add glitter to some more punched pieces.
I used a fine glitter for the smaller pieces and a chuky glitter to do the tips of some of the holly leaves.  


Embellish...  
Glue the glittered pieces to the existing tree shape.  This is the time to tweak your tree shape to make it all filled in and the exact shape you want.    After they are all dry, use your fingers to put bends in the loose tips of holly leaves.  This will make the piece more dimensional and will add places to tuck in the embellishments.

I added loose stones, buttons, beads and some glittered hearts that I had left-over from other projects.


For the final touch, I used the Prima Gold Foil mist to add some drops to the piece.


So for the challenge... 

Use a LOT of something to make a shape on a project.   I used a LOT of small holly leaves to make a tree for my project.    

Another example might be to use a LOT of punched pieces to make a star or a LOT of stars to make a bell.... the ideas will be endless once you get into the groove!

One last thing... Of course we are going to have a prize!  It is a surprise!!
 

 Be sure to check out all the Challenges at Flying Unicorn each month!  There are always great challenges and great prizes, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment