Sunday, June 7, 2015

Off the Page with Flying Unicorn

This month's Off the Page Item included in the Flying Unicorn Kit was a little lighthouse.  It was super cute as it was, but I wanted to put it into this tray that I had picked up.   So, I cut it in half.  The tray had such a neat bottom and wood for the sides, so I thought it made a great beachy background.

I prepared the lighthouse by adding Prima Color Bloom Mist and inks.  I wanted to keep it weathered looking and this worked perfectly with the wood.


Before I added the lighthouse, I did some background work using stencils and paint.  I also used some of my favorite Prima Color Bloom mists.


To begin building the scene, I tore up some cardboard to give the look of stones and shore.  I used some Golden Course Pumice Stone Gel to add the look of sand here and there.    After it was dry, I started adding embellishments, including chipboard fencing and some metal pieces.


For the look of water, I used seam tape that was misted with more Prima Color Bloom, Glistening Waves.  Of course, I had to have a message in a bottle, so that was glued in place.  I finished the scene by adding some cattails and lots of beads to match the 'water' and 'land'.



Now, I had the bottom ready, but the top needed some deatils, too! I sponged on lots of Gel Medium to start with some subtle clouds.  When it was dry, I added some touches of Gesso to make them a bit more visible, but still keep them light and airy.  I tucked a bit of ribbon in the upper corner of the 'sky'.  The finishing touch was using some lightweight chipboard to make the birds.

 

To add a bit of detail to the top, I added some more ribbon, some cattails and a few Prima Seashore Flowers.  

There are so many beautiful takes on the Off the Page this month, as always!  Be sure to drop by Flying Unicorn to take a peek!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Stunning creation Robbie, you make the most original arts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie,
    Your lighthouse piece is beautiful. I love how you used different items to create water, sand - and they look perfect! I love this!

    ReplyDelete